In this spring season where storms are numerous, let’s review what your first steps should be in the event you have a claim or think you may have one to turn in to the insurance company.
- Prevent additional damage. This is an obligation you have as an insured in most insurance contracts. Once the storm is over then tarp the roof, for example, so water cannot come through. Secure your home the best you can. If you need to get trees off electrical wires then do it.
- Take photos of the damage. This is essential for dealing with insurance adjusters.
- Take an inventory of what was damaged. Document, document, document.
- Save your receipts for any emergency work performed.
- Call your insurance agent as soon as you can to turn the claim in.